Dr. Yoginder P. Chugh (Paul) is a Professor Emeritus of the Mining and Mineral Resources Engineering Department, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, IL. He received his B.S. degree in Mining Engineering from the Banaras Hindu University, India, a M.S. and Ph.D degrees in Mining Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University. Paul has taken also additional courses in Soil Mechanics, Operations Research, Statistics and Business at the Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Chicago.
Paul held several positions in the Mining and Mineral Resources Engineering Department, Southern Illinois University beginning in 1997 as an Associate Professor, in 1981 as a Professor and 1994 to the present as Professor and Chairman, Department of Mining Engineering. Paul’s teaching interests and specialties include Mining Engineering, Rock Mechanics and Ground Control, Surface Mining and Land Reclamation, Operations, Research in Mining, Coal Combustion By-Products Management.
Paul’s other teaching and professional industrial and related experience includes:
- Research Associate, Henry Crumb School of Mines
- Teaching and Research Assistant, The Pennsylvania State University
- Assistant Professor, Banaras Hindu University, India
- Industrial Assistant Manager, Andrew Yule Coal Co.
- Research Assistant, ITT Research Institute
- Planning Engineer, AMAX Coal Co
- Instructor, Short Courses for the Mining Industry
Paul has also served as a technical consultant to over 30 federal, state, and industrial organizations on subsidence, ground control, productivity improvement, evaluation of energy related inventions and coal combustion by-products. Paul also holds two patents which were awarded in 1990 and 1991 related to roof trusses.
Paul has received numerous awards and recognition for his technical contributions and for teaching and advising excellence and the most notable include:
- Distinguished Alumnus Award
- SME Publications Board Award
- Outstanding Teaching, Department of Mining Engineering
- Outstanding Teacher, College of Engineering
- Chair, Educational Issues Committee, SME
- ABET Reviewer, Technology Programs
- Member, Board of Directors of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Alternate Director, Technology Accreditation Commission
Paul is a member of several scientific and professional societies including: the American Institute of Mining Engineers, Illinois Mining Institute, Indiana Mining Institute, International Bureau of Strata Mechanics, American Society for Engineering Education, and the Technology Accreditation Commission.
Dr. Chugh has demonstrated the ability to be an effective teacher, mentor, researcher and scholar and the PCMIA is pleased to present him with the 2017 Stephen McCann Award for Excellence in Education.